Home Maintenance Tips for February
Sure, February is known as a time to recognize your true love and honor American presidents, but it’s also a great opportunity to give your home a little tender loving care. We’ve been sharing home maintenance lists with you each month to help you keep your environment comfortable and healthy, so here are our top tips for February:
- Make sure you replace your air filter if necessary, and schedule a maintenance call if you haven’t had your heating system serviced regularly.
- Remove and clean your drain traps underneath sinks, and clean pop-up drain plugs. Inspect the linkage for pop-up drains (what helps move the stopper) to make sure they are properly set. If you need to adjust the linkage, locate the finger-operated pressure lock and squeeze to release. If necessary, slide it up or down.
- Inspect caulk and grout around sinks, tubs and showers. Replace any missing or cracked grout. Clean any discolored, mildewed or stained caulk with household cleaners or trisodium phosphate.
- Have ductwork cleaned, especially if you have been doing any remodeling or have pets that shed.
- Touch up or refinish furniture in a heated workspace or garage (make sure you have proper ventilation). If possible, use water-based strippers, paints, stains and varnishes especially formulated for low odors.
- If you have musty closets or cabinets, removing the contents and wash the walls with a solution of water and chlorine bleach.
- Inspect your water valves to see if any are sticking or leaking. This includes outdoor faucets and valves along with toilets, laundry room fixtures, and all household sinks.
Staying on top of home maintenance is difficult, but by doing little things every month, it won’t seem so overwhelming in the spring. If you have any questions regarding your heating and air system, give us a call. We’d love to help.
This article was written by Action Air