After the record-setting frigid temperatures we all survived last winter, it’s almost a surprise that summer is finally here! And now it’s all about staying cool – and trying not to think about those energy bills.
Maybe this will help. Check out our top air-conditioning tips to beat the heat and save money:
- Change the temp.Set the temperature on your air conditioner to the warmest setting possible –one that allows you to still feel comfortable while minimizing run time. Also, get into the habit of adjusting the settings higher during those cooler days and evenings.
- Adjust before you go. If you have a window air conditioner, turn it off before you leave your house. If you have a central air conditioner, raise the setting before you leave.
- Circulate. Your home will feel cooler with more air circulation. Use fans (they use less electricity than air conditioners) as a supplement to, or in place of, your unit when possible. You can actually raise your thermostat by as much as 4°F without sacrificing your level of comfort if you use your ceiling fans! But remember to turn them off when you’re not in the room.
- Change the filter. You should clean or change your central air or window conditioning filter once a month (or as often as your manufacturer suggests). This helps increase air flow and decrease energy use.
- Get with the program. If you have (or can install) a programmable thermostat, take advantage of its automatic adjust features to save energy.
- Close it up. Double check to see if your windows and doors are closed securely at all times.
- Block out the sun. During peak hours of sunlight, close your shades and window treatments to lower the level of heat.
- Invest in weather stripping. By adding weather stripping around windows and doors, you can help keep the outside air out, and your regulated air inside.
If you suspect that your air conditioning unit is not running efficiently, or if you have any questions about these energy-saving tips, give us a call at (317) 585-8981. We’d love to help!