Cool Off with Lower Energy Costs
Well here we are, right in the middle of another hot, Indiana summer. Before your cooling system kicks into high gear, take a look at how to save money this summer and keep your cool. You’ll like these energy-saving tips…
- Set your thermostat at 78°F or higher. Each degree setting below 78°F will increase your energy consumption by approximately 8%.
- Use bath and kitchen fans sparingly when the air conditioner is operating. They can pull out an entire home’s cooling in one hour.
- Inspect and clean both the indoor and outdoor coils. The indoor coil is like a magnet because it is constantly wetted during the cooling season. Dirt buildup on the indoor coil is the single most common cause of poor efficiency. The outdoor coil must also be checked for dirt buildup and cleaned if necessary.
- Check the refrigerant level. The circulating fluid in your air conditioner is what keeps you cool. But like most things under pressure, it tries to escape! If there’s too little or too much refrigerant, your system will not work properly. Call us to check it out for you.
- Reduce the cooling load. For example, effectively shade south and west windows. When possible, delay heat-generating activities, such as dishwashing, until the evening on hot days.
- Keep the house closed tight during the day. If practical, ventilate at night either naturally or with fans.
Indianapolis area residents, for more information on how to lower energy costs, click here to request a FREE copy of our report on how to “Cool Off with Lower Energy Costs”.
This report is being provided by Fishers, Indiana based Action Air Heating and Air Conditioning. For air conditioning repair or installation, contact Action Air at 317-585-8981.
This article was written by Action Air Fishers