With winter giving us strong incentive to turn up the heater, one might wonder how efficient we can keep our system. Truth is, there are plenty of ways to keep your heater running efficiently, and with Indiana’s single-digit weather, efficiency is a must. In the winter your heating system is susceptible to problems if not properly maintained. Since your heating is constantly running for the entirety of the season, it will need a few pick-me-ups to ensure its operations are at peak performance. Improper heating may drive up the energy bill as well. Inefficient heating wastes more energy and offers less heat, meaning you’ll be paying more money on bills while relying on sweaters for warmth.
Don’t let inefficient heating be the norm this winter. The professionals at Action Air are always looking to assist Central Indiana homeowners in any way we can. With over 30 years of experience in heating, we have compiled critical knowledge on strengthening your heater for the chilly season. Thus, here are some tips for keeping your heating running efficiently for the winter.
Adjust Thermostat at Night
- When going to bed, adjust your thermostat to turn down the heater and save on energy usage.
- Since you’re sleeping, turning down your heater and using warm blankets offers negligible difference, but saves money and stress on your HVAC system.
- The U.S. Department of Energy recommends turning down your heating 10 to 15 degrees for about eight hours, as this saves up to 10% a year on energy.
Heat Rooms Accordingly
- Only heat the rooms you’re in, and this will greatly improve energy efficiency for your home.
- Use alternatives such as portable heaters and fireplaces to provide warm comfort in one room, instead of wasting energy heating up the whole house.
Change Filters When Clogged
- Air filters offer protection from your heater’s dust and debris, and should be replaced every 2 to 3 months.
- Alternatively, you can replace your filter as soon as you notice large build-ups and clogging.
- Replacing your filter gives heating easier access to comfortable heating at reasonable energy usage.
Seal Doors and Windows
- Sealing your doors and windows prevents hot air escaping and cold air coming in.
- You can purchase weather stripping at your local department store, which can be used to seal any unwanted cracks and leaks from your doors and windows.
- Place insulated covers over your windows for additional protection, and set draft stoppers at the bottom of each door for optimal comfort.
Keeping heating efficient does more than just save on energy – it allows you and your family enjoy the comfort of the winter. While practicing these tips helps maximize your heating, always be sure to have a backup plan with Action Air in case of a breakdown. For over 30 years we have been the premier HVAC company for Central Indiana homeowners, and our extensive heating services guarantee you get satisfaction year-round. Give us a call at 317-451-4371 to schedule an appointment and meet your trusted HVAC professionals.