Spring Homeowner’s Checklist for A/C Readiness
This Indiana spring has been a little unpredictable so far, but rest assured, summer is on its way. And that means your air conditioning unit needs to be ready to keep your home (and family) nice and cool.
Here’s a spring homeowner’s checklist to make sure your A/C and home are ready and raring to go:
- If your home has a pier and beam foundation, make sure the vents under your house are open.
- If you have them, check the condition of Visqueen layers underneath the house and over the ground. These are often used in crawl spaces of home foundations as a vapor barrier.
- Because they are so delicate, AC fins – whether condenser fins or evaporator fins – can bend easily. Even with normal use, they can also get clogged with dirt and debris.
Clean the fin area of your exterior unit by washing gently with a hose.
- If you encounter particularly stubborn grime or dirt, use a mild solution of soap and water.
- While cleaning your exterior A/C unit, use caution and do not damage the fins or other components with powerful water streams (like power washing) or other hard objects.
- Make sure to replace your system filter at least once each month.
- Schedule a service call with a reputable A/C company to inspect the unit and service it prior to the start of summer.
- Have your duct work inspected and schedule regular maintenance service with a qualified A/C company.
In addition, inspect your attic insulation, making sure it is near 10 inches thick and evenly distributed throughout the area. And double-check the seal on all your doors and windows, as loose seals can allow heat in and cool air out.
We can help get you ready
No one wants to get caught in the peak of summer with a failing air conditioner. Schedule service now – we will make sure your system is healthy, clean and ready for the warm temperatures ahead. You can contact us at (317) 585-8981.
This article was written by Action Air