Is it time to replace your air conditioning and heating unit? Check out these warning signs.
One of the most frequently asked questions our Action Air team hears from customers is, “How do I know if it’s time to replace my air conditioner and heating system?” It’s not always easy to know, but we have answers.
Check out at our tops warning signs that it’s time to get a new one. And remember, the best way to extend the life of your HVAC system is to change those filters and schedule regular maintenance calls. We can help you with that – call us at (317) 585-8981 and schedule your appointment today.
Top Signs You Need a New HVAC System
- Soaring electricity bills. If your electricity bills are higher than usual, it could be a sign that your HVAC system is overworking. Hopefully you’ve been replacing your filters regularly, but if not, do so immediately. Also, inspect your air vents and make sure they’re nice and clean. Next, look for any knots or lumps in the condensing coil. An energy audit can also help you narrow down the problem, and identify if there are leaks that need to be fixed.
- Inconsistent air temperatures. When running your air conditioner, if the air isn’t cool or is sometimes even hot, your system is not doing its job. You’ll probably also notice a rise humidity. Inspect your filters, valves, coils and condensation drains to see if there is dirt or obstructions in airflow. Then call a technician.
- Loud noises. With HVAC systems, no noise is good noise. In other words, a fully functioning system should be almost silent. So, if you’re hearing buzzing, rattling or clicking, it’s a cause for concern – the internal operational mechanisms are probably malfunctioning.
- Automatic switch-offs. If your unit is automatically powering off – if it isn’t even getting started – you have a problem. First, go see if you have a blown fuse. If that’s not the case, it’s time to get it checked out by professionals.
- Higher levels of dust. Are you noticing a constant layer of dust on the furniture, despite your best cleaning efforts? This could be a sign of leaky or malfunctioning ducts. Again, schedule a professional service call.
- Repeated repairs. If you have your HVAC technician on speed-dial, it’s probably time to invest in a new system. Incidentally, you can expect a well-maintained air conditioner and heating system to last 10-15 years. If yours is running fine but nearing that mark, think about putting aside funds in anticipation of a system replacement over the next few years.
- General feeling of discomfort. Sometimes the biggest sign of all is simply that your home isn’t comfortable, no matter how many times you adjust the thermostat. This could be due to a number of things, including an aging system, ineffective ducts, or an insufficient unit size.