Does the man in your life have everything he needs and more? Tired of giving ties, cologne or grill accessories for Father’s Day? Here’s an idea: give the gift of your time and energy by tackling some good old-fashioned home maintenance chores. Okay, so it might not sound glamorous, but now is the perfect time to get some of those outdoor projects completed that are just too easy to ignore the rest of the year.
Need some ideas? Check out our June home maintenance checklist, and give the ultimate Father’s Day Gift. He’ll love you forever.
- Clean and seal decks. Ideally, you’ll need three consecutive warm, sunny days. On day one, dry out the deck. Apply deck cleaner and scrub the deck on the second day and let it dry 24 hours. On the third day, apply deck sealer. Make sure to follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean your chimney. Summer is a great time to give your fireplace a little TLC – when you don’t need to use it. Hire a certified chimney sweep (it’s easier to get them scheduled during the summer) to inspect and clean it thoroughly. If any repairs are needed, you’ll have plenty of time to complete them before it gets cold.
- Clean house. Give your house a good exterior washing, using mild detergent and a simple garden hose. Involve the whole family, play some music and have fun with it. But be aware that, should you decide to use a pressure washer, the powerful stream of water can seep under siding where it may cause mildew and rot.
- Caulk exterior joints around window and doors.
- Power wash your driveway and sidewalks.
- Clean the area around your outdoor air conditioning unit, making sure it’s clear of overgrown bushes, weeds, debris and landscaping.
- Clean lint from the entire clothes dryer vent system, from the dryer to the exterior vent cap.
- Inspect and repair or repaint all patio and deck furniture. Replace worn cushions, and consider new patterns or bright colors for an updated look.
- Check to make sure your attic fans and roof-mounted turbine vents are operational and working properly.
Assisting the guy in your life with a little home maintenance might be the perfect gift of all! And don’t forget to make sure your air conditioner is serviced, well-maintained and ready for the rising temperatures of summer. Give us a call – we’ll make sure you’re ready to go.